Friday 21 September 2012

Dealing with winter hair breakage - BE PREPARED : Turn to braids

My new hairdo
How do I deal with winter hair breakage? How can I keep my hair healthy during winter? How can I prevent my hair breaking in winter? How do braids protect your hair in winter?

Winter weather can be an extremely stressful and hectic season not only for your wardrobe but for your hair too. The air that comes a long with winter is prone to drying out your hair resulting in less moisture and more breakage. Personally, for me it seems like winter brings a delay in my hair growth or slows down my hair growth process. I see this as being similar to the fact that grass, plants, flowers, etc all GROW better in summer and spring too - NOT IN WINTER OR FALL.



Braids all the way
With winter came tons of hair breakage for me to such an extent that I could see some serious damage on my nape area especially. My nape area which was originally grazing Armpit length (APL) like the rest of my hair was now neck length by the end of winter. Really, REALLY horrible. This was my very first winter as a relaxed head and on my hair journey. I eventually decided upon trying to save my hair and help it recover by going back to my original way of hair maintenance before I went fully relaxed for a year - braids.
Growing and resting my hair in braids

Braids help protect your hair from the winter cold, keep it safe from the dryness in the air (especially if you put your moisturising spray to good use) and help your hair grow better because it isn't constantly dealing with excessive manipulation. Another advantage to braids is that you are able to stretch your relaxers a little longer if you're a relaxed head like I am.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck with the winter weather! BE WELL PREPARED!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment