Tuesday 20 September 2016

How to care for 4C / 4Z hair BEFORE relaxing it

As mentioned in a previous post, I suffered some set backs and neglected my hair for quite some time ultimately resulting in me having to "big chop".
Upon deciding to re-start my hair journey following some major life changes, I decided to start caring for my hair again.

My 4c Hair

I made up my mind that I wanted to go back to being a relaxed haired girl. I am fully aware about the pros and cons surrounding being natural vrs relaxed and how natural hair is said to be healthier and am happy with the decision I've made to be relaxed.


My ORS Moisturizer
Watching videos from my hair inspiration ladies 'Brianne LIVE',  'Madam Gemini' and  'prettywitty77', I have learnt that it's not whether or not your hair is relaxed or chemically treated that determines it's health and length but whether or not you care for your hair as you should.

I decided to start caring for my hair again prior to relaxing it. I watched tons of Youtube videos (as mentioned above) followed tons of relaxed heads videos and blogs and made many notes for myself. I did tons of research. It had been a while since I'd had my hair relaxed and since my previous failed hair journey so I wanted to be sure that I had the most up to date and recent information.


Caring for natural hair prior to relaxing

For 3 months before relaxing my hair I did the following:

Moisturize and seal

Every night I would spritz my hair with some warm water and apply some moisturizer (I use ORS Olive moisturizer) to it before sealing it with coconut oil or Castor oil.


How to Moisturize and Seal - prettywitty77

Low manipulation on hair

I made sure to minimize manipulation on my hair. I'd limit the amount of pressure or tension coursed on it by avoiding excessive styling, combing or tight ponies or braids. I kept my hair in lose plaits or cornrows so that I wouldn't have to comb it every day and only undid the braids and plaits when I wanted to moisturize and seal thoroughly which I did about once a week. While my hair was in braids I would moisturize by spritzing it only.

Protective style

I never wore my natural hair out EVER. I kept it in a protective style - under a wig.
Some people can manage their natural hair - I couldn't. My natural hair texture is very thick and tightly coiled and in order for me to style it I PERSONALLY feel like it is too much manipulation for my hair. This is one of the reasons I decided upon relaxing it instead. I feel like I will lose less hair and have a better chance at growing my hair with it relaxed than in it's natural state.
My Castor Oil and Coconut oil

Massages


Whenever I had the chance or could remember, I would do scalp massages with Castor oil especially on my nape and edge area on which I had suffered some breakage.
Scalp massages help stimulate hair growth and oils like Castor oil, Peppermint oil and Rosemary oil are good for this.

You can read more about good hair growth oils here...

By just doing the things mentioned above I could notice improvement in the length and health of my hair even in it's natural state. It felt really awesome seeing my hair get back on track again.

An article regarding preparing my natural hair for its virgin relaxer will follow soon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment